The Jabuticaba(Plinia cauliflora) is a fruit-bearing tree native to Minas Gerais and São Paulo states in southeastern Brazil. The tree is grown for its purplish-black, white-pulped fruits; they can be eaten raw or be used to make jellies and drinks (plain juice or wine). Other common names include Brazilian Grape Tree, Jaboticaba, Jabotica, Jabuticabeira, Guaperu, Guapuru, Hivapuru, Sabará and Ybapuru
Photo credit: Roberto Hoffman
And here too: http://inspirationsforadultlife.tumblr.com/
I know it’s almost summer, and everyone (including myself) will be spending lots of time in the sun, but this is important to keep in mind.
The ABCDE’s of Skin Cancer Detection!
Take care of yourselves this summer!
Melanoma Awareness Month continues — yo bettah check yo-self.
Unrelenting optimism can be more harmful to patients than disease.
Deviled Avocado. Spicy Curry Sauce. Cado-Crunch Salad.
vegan, makes 4 avocado halves
2 avocados, scooped (rinse skin well before using)
1/2 lemon - squeeze over top scooped avocados to prevent browning
additional hemp seeds
Avocado Crunch Salad:
4 scooped avocado centers (about 1 1/2 cups mashed avocado)
1 small apple, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
1 Tbsp organic raisins or chopped dates
1-2 Tbsp raw hemp seeds
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp fine black pepper
note: you can get creative with this salad by adding in more veggies, beans, nuts and other seeds … creativity encouraged.
Bold Spicy Sweet Curry Sauce:
1 Tbsp maple syrup (grade B)
1 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp hot curry powder (or muchi curry)
2 tsp lemon juice
a few dashes cayenne for extra heat
**add a bit less maple syrup if you do not like your sauce too sweet.
1. Rinse your avocados well under cold water. Dry.
2. Slice avocados into halves, remove pits.
3. Scoop avocado flesh. Add to small bowl and drench leftover avocado bowls in lemon juice.
4. Add all the crunch salad ingredients to your small bowl and start mashing and folding the salad until a thick avocado salad forms. Set aside.
5. Whip together your curry sauce in a small bowl. Place in the fridge a few minutes to firm up a bit for best drizzling.
6. Add avocado crunch salad to scooped avocado shells. Pile it high.
7. Drizzle curry sauce over top. Add hemp seeds over top and some more fine black pepper. Optional: drizzle of EVOO for extra richness.
Serve! Note: These actually store in the fridge pretty well for up to a day. Just cover well and drench outside of stuffed avocados in lemon juice to prevent browning.
for my sissy who just went vegan!